2023 Ducati XDiavel S
The Power of Opposites
The XDiavel S embodies the sports side of the Ducati cruise. You can tell it is a Ducati at the first corner: the way it leans, its technical content, its cutting-edge electronic package and high performance guarantee an unforgettable riding experience.
- BELT TRANSMISSION: The XDiavel is the first Ducati to use belt final drive. A must in the cruiser world, the system was developed for the XDiavel by Ducati engineers so as to be able to guarantee reliable and safe transmission of the power supplied by the Ducati Testastretta DVT 1262.
- FORWARD FOOTPEGS: The XDiavel ergonomic started from a basic concept: a relaxed riding position, like a real cruiser, with a low seat and forward foot pegs. The footpegs of the XDiavel can be adjusted as standard in three positions (+/- 22.5 mm compared to the standard position). In addition, for anyone favouring a more sports riding position, a Ducati Performance "central footpegs" kit will be available, sold as an optional extra. The XDiavel guarantees a maximum lean angle of 40 degrees, an unthinkable value for motorcycles with forward foot pegs.
- ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION: The adjustable XDiavel suspensions guarantee high comfort even on long distances and perfect control during fast riding. The XDiavel has a 50 mm diameter front fork with black anodised sheaths, which can be completely adjusted in the hydraulic braking in compression and extension and in the spring preload (the S version also has stems with DLC coating). The fork has the compression register and spring preload on the left stem, while the extension register is located on the right stem. With a steering inclination of 30° and a 130 mm trail, the set-up of the XDiavel enables an agile and controllable front end, thus guaranteeing exceptional handling and a notable steering angle. On the other hand, at the rear the XDiavel has an adjustable mono-shock in the spring preload and in extension, equipped with a separate fuel tank. Mounted almost horizontally, the shock absorber works together with progressive kinematics.
- BREMBO BRAKING SYSTEM: The XDiavel is equipped, as standard, with the Brembo braking system with Bosch 9.1ME ABS Cornering. ABS Cornering makes use of the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) platform by Bosch to optimise the braking power of the front and back wheels, also in critical situations and when cornering. The high quality Brembo components combined with ABS, the specific suspension set-up and Pirelli Enhanced Patch Technology guarantee excellent braking performance for the XDiavel as well as utmost safety in all conditions and for riders of any level. The system can act in a more or less sensitive way and the intervention level can be chosen by the rider based on their experience and road and/or use conditions. There are three ABS profiles available (Expert, Sport and Safe & Stable) and they are preset as standard in each of the three Riding Modes, but can be called up individually by accessing a user-friendly menu.
- TESTASTRETTA DVT 1262: The Testastretta DVT 1262 twin-cylinder engine, beating heart of XDiavel, delivers a maximum power output of 152 hp at 9,500 rpm and a maximum torque of 92.9 lb ft at 5,000 rpm.
- TORQUE ALWAYS AVAILABLE: Approximately 80% of the maximum torque of the XDiavel is almost immediately available: at 2,100 rpm. This means you can pick up speed without having to shift down a gear, by sightly opening the throttle. Just like you expect from a cruiser. The torque peak - 92.9 lb ft - is reached instead at 5,000 rpm, a pretty low speed for a Ducati twin-cylinder engine. If you want the maximum, when the rev counter pointer reaches 9,500 rpm, the wheel gets 152 hp.
- DUCATI POWER LAUNCH: The spirit of the XDiavel can be fully expressed thanks to the Ducati Power Launch. This system can guarantee fast and safe starts thanks to the Bosch IMU which regulates the gas. The DPL has 3 intervention modes where level 1 is the one able to provide maximum performance. The DPL is operated by pressing the dedicated button positioned on the right-hand switch. Once activated it is possible to select the intervention level through the menu which opens up on the dashboard. Once the level is selected, the rider must use the clutch, put it in first gear and completely open the gas. At this point, simply by gradually releasing the clutch, it is possible to make an explosive start. The system automatically switches off on exceeding 120 km/h, or when third gear is engaged, or when speed drops to under 5 km/h. In order to protect the clutch, the system uses an algorithm which enables only a limited number of consecutive starts. The starts are recalculated one by one during normal use of the bike.
- RIDE-BY-WIRE: The Ride-by-Wire system is an electronic interface between the engine and the XDiavel's fuel grip, which allows the ideal power level to be configured depending on the Riding Mode selected. The power supplied by the engine is no longer regulated solely and directly by the accelerator cable, but passes through the control unit which, on the basis of the signal received, electronically regulation the opening of the throttle. The RbW system uses three different mappings to regulate the supply of power: Sport, Touring and Urban.
- TIRES AND WHEELS: At the front the wheel is 3.5" x 17'', while at the back it is 8" x 17''. The large rear tyre uses double compound technology to increase grip during the most extreme cornering, guaranteeing at the same time high kilometric performance and applying Enhanced Patch Technology to maximise the contact area with any lean angle. The tread design and the compounds used guarantee exceptional performance in all conditions, especially in the wet.
- RIDING MODE: The XDiavel integrates the latest innovations in Ducati technology, such as Riding Modes. The three Riding Modes work by combining different cutting-edge technologies, such as Ride-by-Wire, Ducati Traction Control and ABS Cornering Bosch systems. The Riding Mode Urban instantly changes the character of the XDiavel, transforming it into an easy to handle form of transport which feels safe. The power supplied is reduced to 100 hp, the DTC is set at level 6 and the ABS profile is set to Safe & Stable, in order to always move in complete safety, even on uneven surfaces and in heavier traffic. The Riding Mode Touring enables the engine to supply all its 152 hp but with a soft and easy to handle power curve. The DTC is set to level 4 and the ABS on Safe & Stable, for pleasant and relaxed riding, ideal for maximum comfort for the rider and passenger on long journeys. The Riding Mode Sport offers pure fun, with the engine releasing 152 hp through a precise, expert touch of the accelerator. To experience the performance of the XDiavel without any compromise, Sport Mode reduces the DTC to level 2 and sets the ABS to Sport mode. (*Euro-5 version)
- DUCATI TRACTION CONTROL: DTC is a very smart system which acts as a "filter" between the rider's right hand and the rear wheel. In just a few milliseconds, DTC can record and subsequently control the spinning of the rear wheel, contributing to increasing the performance and active safety of the bike. The system offers eight different levels, each programmed to provide a certain tolerance level for rear end sliding, and thus suitable for the progressive riding skill levels. Level one is designed to offer less interaction and is destined for more expert riders, in good riding conditions, while level eight involves greater interaction and has been developed to offer complete confidence to all riders, also in wet and slippery conditions. The DTC levels are preset as standard in each of the three Riding Modes, but can be selected individually by accessing an intuitive menu, in order to best meet the rider's needs.
- FULL LED LIGHTING SYSTEM WITH DRL: The XDiavel S features a dominant front headlight with Daytime Running Light. The DRL is a particular light which guarantees perfect visibility of the bike during the day and, at the same time, thanks to its particular form, makes the XDiavel S instantly recognisable also in sunlight.