2023 Ducati Streetfighter V4 S
The Streetfighter V4 was an instant success and set new performance benchmarks in the super sports naked segment. Universally appreciated for its aggressive and minimalist aesthetic, characterized by a front inspired by the Joker of the comics, the Street fighter V4 immediately entered the hearts of enthusiasts.
The natural evolution of the family is a bike that pushes the concepts of the "Fight Formula" even further, the key elements of which are the Panigale V4 stripped of the fairings, high and wide handlebars, 392 lb weight, 208 hp Desmosedici Stradale engine, biplane wings and latest generation electronic package.
- The wings have been developed for the Street fighter V4 in biplane configuration designed by Ducati Corse specialists in collaboration with the Centro Stile Ducati. They ensure maximum stability at high speeds and when braking, they help prevent the tendency to wheelie during acceleration, limiting the interventions on the chassis to provide nimble and quick behavior in mixed conditions. The aerodynamic development was carried out entirely with CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulations using a calculation method that involves stationary simulations of the motion and pressure fields with the aim of increasing the vertical force on the vehicle, particularly the front wheel.
- AERODYNAMIC APPENDAGES: To ensure maximum stability both at high speeds and when braking and a lower tendency to wheelie during acceleration, limiting as much as possible the interventions on the chassis. To have a nimble and quick behaviour in mixed conditions, wings have been developed for the Streetfighter V4 in biplane configuration designed by Ducati Corse specialists in collaboration with the Centro Stile Ducati.
- MUDGUARDS: The new fenders provide 77lb kg (+ 15.4 lb) of "downforce" at 167.7 mph, including 59.5 lb on the front wheel and 17 lb on the rear
- INCREASING THE "ANTI-SQUAT" EFFECT: As on the Panigale V4, the swingarm pivot of the 2023 Streetfighter V4 is positioned .16 in (4 mm) higher, increasing the anti-squat action that helps the rider with greater stability, precision, and the ability to maintain the trajectory in all acceleration situations. The weight distribution also moves towards the front, loading it more and thus increasing accuracy and speed in corner entry. Finally, the ergonomics benefit from the new layout of the fuel tank, the shape of which offers greater support to the rider during braking and cornering. The wet weight of the Streetfighter V4 S 2022 stands at 434 lb.
- INCREASED SUPPORT UNDER BRAKING AND CORNERING: Increased support in haste and cornering is provided by both the new ergonomic shape of the fuel tank and the increase in its capacity (+ 0.1 gallon).
- BIPLANE WINGS BY DUCATI CORSE: To reduce the lateral dimensions of the appendages as much as possible, it was decided to develop an aerodynamic configuration that provides two wings of reduced opening positioned in the shape of a biplane with the aim of making them work independently. The single appendage can be described as a wing with a single element and a rectangular plan, equipped with a winglet on the external lateral end. The wings have been positioned as close as possible to the front wheel (near the side radiator panels) to maximize the anti-wheelie effect.
- HOW THEY WORK: The vertical load generated by the wings reduces the "buoyancy" of the front wheel at high speeds, the tendency to wheelie and increases stability during braking, entry, and cornering. This dynamic behavior instils safety and limits the intervention of the electronic controls, so that the rider is led to keep the throttle open for longer as well as to brake later right into the corner, benefitting in terms of performance.
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS: The effect of the introduction of the aerodynamic appendages is 61.7 lb of downforce at 167.7 mph, of which 44 lb on the front wheel and 17.6 lb on the rear wheel. The wings also give benefits in terms of heat loss by increasing the speed of passage through the water and oil radiators, respectively by + 2% and + 10%.
CHASSIS AND ERGONOMICS
- CHASSIS: The new Streetfighter V4, the chassis also follows the evolution of the Panigale V4 family to offer enthusiasts stability improvements, front-end feeling and riding safety. The chassis includes a Front Frame and a single-sided swingarm, both in aluminum, with an upside-down fork and mechanically adjustable shock absorber on the V4 version. The Streetfighter V4 S features semi-active Öhlins suspension (NIX30 upside-down 43 mm fork and TTX36 shock absorber) with SmartEC 2.0 interface, gaining versatility, effectiveness, and quickness in set-up. The chassis layout is complemented by the trellis seat post frame, attached above the "Front Frame" and bolted inferiorly to the rear bank head.
- FRONT-FRAME: The Streetfighter V4 uses the "Front Frame" frame derived from the experience gained in MotoGP, which uses the Desmosedici Stradale engine with a load-bearing function. The main difference in layout compared to traditional perimeter frames is the use of the engine as a structural element. The "Front Frame" provides a compact front structure, weighing only 8.8lb, fixed directly to the upper half-casing of the front bank and to the head of the rear bank of the V4, whose base also acts as a fixing for the rear suspension and as a fulcrum point of the single-sided swingarm. The most important advantage of the Ducati "Front Frame" is the use of the Desmosedici Stradale engine to achieve the desired stiffness: this has made it possible to significantly reduce the extension of the main frame and its weight, obtaining a higher stiffness / weight ratio. Added to this advantage is the reduced length of the uprights that run sideways to the engine, which allowed the Borgo Panigale engineers to design a compact bike, especially in the rider's seating area. The chassis layout is completed by the trellis seat-post frame, fixed at the top to the "Front Frame" and screwed below the head of the rear bank.
- REFINED SUSPENSION: The Streetfighter V4 features a 43 mm diameter Showa Big Piston Fork (BPF) fully adjustable in hydraulic brake, compression and rebound, and spring preload. The fork sliders house chrome-plated stanchions on to which Brembo radial brake calipers are attached. The front package is completed by a Sachs steering damper. At the rear there is a fully adjustable Sachs shock absorber fixed on one side to the Desmosedici Stradale engine by means of a forged aluminum piece.
- RIMS AND TIRES: The V4 S version is equipped with Marchesini 3-spoke forged aluminum alloy wheels which provide important benefits in terms of nimbleness when changing direction and responsiveness in acceleration and braking due to the reduction of unsprung weight. The rims are fitted with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa IV tires, which combine track performance with versatility on the road, in sizes 120/70 ZR17 for the front and 200/60 ZR 17 for the rear.
- BRAKING SYSTEM WITH BREMBO STYLEMA® CALIPERS: The Streetfighter V4 range features the powerful Brembo Stylema® monobloc calipers which represent the evolution of the already performing M50 calipers. The twin Brembo calipers each have four 30 mm diameter pistons that work on 330 mm diameter discs, ensuring exceptional braking power. While at the rear we find a single 245 mm disc with 2-piston caliper. The braking system is assisted by the ABS Cornering EVO system, which uses the lightweight 9.1MP control unit.
- LITHIUM-ION BATTERY: The standard equipment is enriched by a lithium-ion battery for the S version, 3.7 lb lighter than the previous one.
- ERGONOMICS: Compared to the Panigale V4, the position in the saddle of the rider, who sits at a height of 33.2 inches from the ground, has been redefined according to the specifications of a naked model. As Streetfighter culture dictates, the clip-ons are replaced by a high and wide handlebar which, together with a saddle providing 2.3 inches of padding and a less extreme position of the rider foot-pegs, guarantees sporty comfort in urban riding and the control necessary to attack extra-urban roads or the track. The Streetfighter V4 2023 also incorporates the ergonomic improvements made to the Panigale V4 family, integrating a tank with a different shape that offers greater support for the rider during braking and cornering.
- RACING TANK: The tank of the Streetfighter 2023 is made of aluminum, and goes from 3.5 to 3.7 gallons with a change of conformation which, as on the Panigale V4, better supports the rider under braking and in cornering. Compared to the Panigale V4, the tank has been suitably modified in the lower area to allow the fitting of a saddle with more foam to increase rider comfort. As with track bikes, the tank has a portion of its capacity located under the rider's seat. In the front, the space not occupied by the fuel has been used to place all the electronics, including the battery.
- TAIL: While retaining typical Panigale styling cues, the tail is supported by a steel frame and has been redesigned to provide greater comfort for the passenger and more longitudinal space for the rider.
- DESIGN: AN EMOTION AMPLIFIER: The new Streetfighter V4 is created to amplify the emotions of the rider by making them feel like the protagonist in every ride. It is an unrivalled naked bike, both modern and technological, with a powerful and exciting design, which has been met with great success from the public and critics. The bike conveys sportiness with the single-seat configuration due to the presence of the passenger seat cover that can be replaced with the saddle and foot pegs supplied like on the new Panigale V4. The tank, evolved in shape and with greater capacity (4.49 gallons), is embraced by new side covers that support the wings.
- SINGLE-SEAT SADDLE: With the single-seat configuration due to the presence of the passenger seat cover that can be replaced with the supplied seat and footrests, the new Streetfighter V4 conveys sportiness at first glance.
- EXTRACTORS: Behind the radiator the new hot air extractor profiles, which follow the design evolutions made by the Panigale V4 and have a structural function, stand out. They are fixed directly to the frame and integrate the double overlapping wings which, in addition to being a reference to the MotoGP bike, generate the vertical load necessary to guarantee maximum stability at high speeds.
- TANK DESIGN: The tank of the Streetfighter 2023 is made of aluminum and goes from 3.5 to 3.7 gallons with a change of conformation which, as on the Panigale V4, better supports the rider under braking and in cornering. Compared to the Panigale V4, the tank has been suitably modified in the lower area to allow the fitting of a saddle with more foam to increase rider comfort. As with track bikes, the tank has a portion of its capacity located under the rider's seat.
- FULL-LED HEADLAMP: The Streetfighter V4 design immediately conveys its mission. A message represented by the minimalist design of the full-LED headlamp that recalls the front of the Panigale V4 but evokes the expression of the Joker, the declared inspiration for the Centro Stile Ducati in creating this naked bike from Borgo Panigale.
- DOUBLE LAYER FAIRING: The compact front headlight assembly is inserted in a double-layer casing with a particularly refined design, in which the air intakes for the air-box and for the cooling of the LED units are obtained, while a rear deflector prevents the flow from impacting directly on the tank. The headlamp is topped by the 5” TFT dashboard (the same as the Panigale V4) integrated with a sophisticated front cover that elegantly hides the fixings and wiring.
- THE COLORS OF THE FIGHT FORMULA: The color range consists of Ducati Red and the new “Grey/Nero” livery, which will be available only for the “S” version. A perfect color choice to show the "bad" side of the Streetfighter V4 S and to attract attention when riding it.
- THE INSPIRATION: JOKER: The spirit of the Streetfighter V4 is perfectly portrayed by the design of the full-LED headlamp, which, while reminiscent of the front of the Panigale V4, also refers to the crazy expression of the Joker, the famous comic book character.
ELECTRONIC CONTROLS 1
- DUCATI POWER LAUNCH (DPL): This system, adjustable on three levels, guarantees lightning-fast starts, allowing the rider to concentrate only on managing the clutch release. Once set, it will be sufficient to engage first gear and open the throttle: during the first phase of the start, while the driver modulates the release of the clutch, the DPL will keep the Desmosedici Stradale stable around an optimal speed according to the selected DPL level; in the second phase, when the clutch is fully released, the DPL will control the torque delivered to ensure the maximum possible acceleration based on the predefined level.
- DUCATI WHEELIE CONTROL: The Streetfighter V4 is also equipped with the latest version of Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC) EVO. This system, using information from the Bosch 6D IMU, controls wheelie and allows for maximum acceleration performance with ease and safety.
- DUCATI ELECTRONIC SUSPENSION: The S version is equipped with event-based Öhlins suspension with electronic control, based on the second generation Öhlins Smart EC. In addition to utilizing all the potential offered by the 6D IMU, has a new and more intuitive interface called OBTi (Objective Based Tuning Interface) for the settings.
- DUCATI TRACTION CONTROL (DTC) EVO 2: The new Ducati Traction Control (DTC) EVO 2 strategy derives from the Ducati Desmosedici GP18 and is already used on the Panigale V4 R and V4 R SBK. In addition to interfacing with the 6-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and adapting the intervention and the slippage to the lean angle of the bike, the software significantly improves power management out of corners thanks to the new "predictive" control strategy. By acting not only on the instantaneous value of the rear spin, but also on its variation, it intercepts the loss of grip more quickly and reduces slippage peaks, thus ensuring a quicker and more regular intervention. All this translates into greater vehicle stability when exiting corners, even in non-optimal grip conditions, greater acceleration and improved performance both over a single lap and on long runs.
ELECTRONIC CONTROLS 2
- STRATEGY FOR DUCATI QUICK SHIFT (DQS): The DQS EVO 2 with up / down function, developed for the Panigale V4, uses the information on the lean angle to maximize the stability of the bike during the shifting phase when cornering. The DQS EVO 2, in addition to minimizing shifting times, allows you to downshift without using the clutch, ensuring even more effective braking. The system includes a bi-directional microswitch integrated in the kinematics of the lever which, in correspondence with each gearshift operation, sends a signal to the Desmosedici Stradale control unit. The system acts separately for shifting and downshifting, integrating the action on ignition advance and injection, already present on the up-shift system, with the controlled opening of the throttle valve for downshift operation thanks to full Ride by Wire system management.
- ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL (EBC) EVO 2: The EBC (Engine Brake Control) has been developed to help riders optimize the stability of the bike in extreme cornering conditions, balancing the forces to which the rear tire. The EBC EVO 2 of the Streetfighter V4 2023, optimized based on of lean angle, monitors the position of the throttle, the selected gear and the deceleration of the Desmosedici Stradale shaft during the most aggressive braking, and precisely adjusts the throttle opening to balance the torque forces applied to the tire. The EBC EVO can be set on three levels integrated in the Riding Modes. The software is characterized by a differentiated gear by gear calibration on each of the three selectable levels, according to a new strategy developed to optimize the intensity of the engine brake action according to the load on the rear. In the first braking phase, when there is little load on the rear tyre, the EBC EVO 2 provides less engine brake, then increasing it as you approach the centre of the corner, where the intervention of the engine brake makes the greatest contribution in slowing down the bike and closing the line. Thanks to this modification, which guarantees a more balanced intervention of the control on the engine brake in all riding conditions, rear wheel locking in the most demanding braking sections is also reduced.
- ABS CORNERING EVO: The ABS system of the Streetfighter V4 includes the "cornering" function, which extends ABS intervention even with an inclined bike and has the same intervention logics and control types as the Panigale V4. This system supports the rider by controlling the torque delivered by the Desmosedici Stradale engine as a function of the slide angle. Its goal is to improve performance out of corners by preventing slide angles that would otherwise be difficult to manage. The DSC works thanks to the 6D IMU which provides the vehicle dynamics control unit with information on the dynamics of the motorcycle (such as lean angle, acceleration and much more). Like the DTC EVO, the DSC manages reductions in torque by intervening on the opening of the throttle valves, the reduction of advance and injection cuts. In all situations where rapid DSC intervention is not required, the use of the throttle body valves allows optimal combustion parameters to be maintained, thus obtaining a response from the Desmosedici Stradale and smoother intervention. The DSC is adjustable on two levels: passing from level 1 to level 2, the system allows the rider to more easily control slide angle values that would otherwise be difficult to manage. It is possible to modify the DSC intervention level by entering the menu, from which it is also possible to set the values of DTC EVO and DWC EVO. It is also possible to set the direct control of the DSC through the direct access keys located on the left switch. The DSC set value is always visible on the dashboard.
- DUCATI SLIDE CONTROL (DSC): The introduction of the 6D IMU made it possible to add Ducati Slide Control (DSC), developed in collaboration with Ducati Corse, to the Ducati Traction Control (DTC) EVO. This system supports the rider by controlling the torque delivered by the Desmosedici Stradale engine as a function of the slide angle. Its goal is to improve performance out of corners by preventing slide angles that would otherwise be difficult to manage. The DSC works thanks to the 6D IMU which provides the vehicle dynamics control unit with information on the dynamics of the motorcycle (such as lean angle, acceleration and much more). Like the DTC EVO, the DSC manages reductions in torque by intervening on the opening of the throttle valves, the reduction of advance and injection cuts. In all situations where rapid DSC intervention is not required, the use of the throttle body valves allows optimal combustion parameters to be maintained, thus obtaining a response from the Desmosedici Stradale and smoother intervention. The DSC is adjustable on two levels: passing from level 1 to level 2, the system allows the rider to more easily control slide angle values that would otherwise be difficult to manage. It is possible to modify the DSC intervention level by entering the menu, from which it is also possible to set the values of DTC EVO and DWC EVO. It is also possible to set the direct control of the DSC through the direct access keys located on the left switch. The DSC set value is always visible on the dashboard.
- MOTOGP DERIVATION: Many engineering and technological aspects bring the Streetfighter V4 to life. A balance of distinctive lines, brutal power, cutting-edge technology, and components come together in the Fight Formula. The latest generation electronic package of the Streetfighter V4, which incorporates the updates introduced on the Panigale V4 family, is based on the use of a 6-axis inertial platform (6D IMU - Inertial Measurement Unit) capable of instantly detecting roll angle, yaw, and pitch of the bike in space.
- THE EVOLUTION OF POWER MODES: The new Streetfighter implements the new Power Mode logic already introduced with the Ducati Panigale V4 and V4 S, naturally with calibrations dedicated to the Desmosedici Stradale engine in the Streetfighter configuration. There are four engine delivery strategies: Full, High, Medium, Low. Full and Low are newly developed, while High and Medium have been revised in strategy.
- FULL POWER MODE: Full Power Mode allows the engine to express its full potential torque without electronic intervention, except for first gear. It is not associated with any of the Riding Modes in the default configuration but must be selected manually by the rider.
- HIGH & MEDIUM POWER MODE: For the High and Medium Power Modes, a new Ride by Wire map management system has been developed with a dedicated calibration for each of the six gears, which ensures the rider always obtains the best possible acceleration every time the throttle is opened. The calibrations dedicated to the Streetfighter V4 guarantee the maximum correlation between the torque value requested by the rider and torque delivered.
- LOW POWER MODE: The Low Power Mode, on the other hand, has been designed for riding on the road or for low-grip surfaces, limiting the maximum power of the bike to 165 hp and offering a softer and more manageable throttle response.
- WET RIDING MODE: The brand-new Wet Riding Mode is designed to make riding even safer on low-grip surfaces. The RM limits maximum power to 165 hp with a particularly gentle throttle response (power mode Low) and, in the V4 S version, a softened suspension set-up to favour grip and safety. The default level of the electronic controls is set to offer maximum stability ensuring better grip and stability.
- SECOND-GENERATION TFT: The Streetfighter V4 uses the same advanced full-TFT 5” color high resolution instrument as the Panigale V4, with the virtual circular tachometer as the dominant element of the dashboard on the right side. The graphics are revised in all views, to make the information more straightforward and allows the rider to make calibration adjustments easier. For enthusiasts who want to take advantage of the Streetfighter V4's performance on the track, the dashboard now offers the Track Evo display mode, which replicates the layout used on the MotoGP Desmosedici and provides an immediate view of the most important information and the intervention of the electronic controls.
- DUCATI ELECTRONIC SUSPENSION EVO: The S version is equipped with event-based Öhlins electronically controlled suspension, based on the second-generation Öhlins Smart EC (Electronic Control) system.
- DUCATI LAP TIMER GPS: The DLT GPS, available as a Ducati Performance accessory, allows lap times to be automatically recorded and stored and displayed directly on the bike's dashboard each time it crosses the finish line.
- DUCATI DATA ANALYZER + GPS: The Ducati Data Analyzer + GPS (DDA + GPS) enables the evaluation of motorcycle and rider performance by graphically presenting specific channels of data.
- DUCATI MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM: The versatility of the Streetfighter V4 is evidenced by its readiness for the Ducati Multimedia System (DMS), through which it is possible to accept incoming calls, select and listen to music, and receive text messages.
- STATE-OF-THE-ART ELECTRONIC SETUP: The electronic package includes controls that manage all riding phases: some are responsible for starting, accelerating and braking, others for monitoring traction, others relating to the phases of cornering and exit.
- DESMOSEDICI STRADALE: The Streetfighter V4 is equipped with the 1,103 cc Desmosedici Stradale engine. The 90° V4 delivers 208 hp at 13,000 rpm. A high level of power for a super sport naked, unrivalled in the segment, and consistent with the crazy and exaggerated image that is typical of the Ducati Streetfighter V4. The maximum torque value of 90.4 lb-ft at 9,500 rpm is virtually unchanged compared to the Panigale V4. A dedicated engine control map allows you to safely exploit the performance of the Streetfighter V4 in road use, which with the 2023 model benefits from all the updates introduced on the Panigale V4 starting in 2022. These values, achieved through a new calibration and exhaust, make the bike even more enjoyable on twisty roads.
- REVISED ENGINE CALIBRATION: The 1,103 cc Desmosedici Stradale, has been revised in calibration to match the larger diameter of the silencer outlet, introduced in order to reduce the exhaust back pressure
- ENGINE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY: To increase driving riding comfort, a new management strategy keeps the exhaust valve closed in urban and suburban use in sixth gear up to 87 mph, ensuring better acoustic comfort for the rider.
- CLUTCH HOUSING FOR DRY CLUTCH MOUNTING: In addition, there is the clutch cover of the Panigale V4, which allows you to easily mount the dry clutch and the clutch cover protection.